March 26, 2011

James Gunn Open To Making A Marvel Film, Could It Be Deadpool?

LatinoReview was able to speak with James Gunn while he was promoting Super. They posed the question if Gunn would ever consider making a film based on a Marvel character.

"Yeah, I mean there's a lot of things that I would like to do and I've even talked to people about it. I've had discussions with Marvel, even from the beginning of the career. I remember being offered to write 'Fantastic Four' ten years ago or some that I didn't do. If something inspired me I would.


"A lot of things I'm attracted to may not be may not be the most popular superheroes in the world and so it's just a matter of finding the right project. But I would do it if it was something that inspired me. You never know, some morning I could wake up with an idea in my head for anything and it could be a western, a comedy, a superhero movie, a melodrama and that's what will take me over for that day.


"I don't think my next movie is going to be an ultra-low budget movie like 'Super,' but I don't think -- I love doing it, I'm happy I did it, but if I do it again for another year I think it might kill me. So I think I'm going to do something with a little bit of a bigger budget, more of an entertaining pop-show and that's what I plan on doing next."

The interesting part of this whole thing is that Fox had interest in him writing Fantastic Four. I would be inclined to believe he could be hinting at the Fantastic Four reboot. That project has yet to announce either a writer or direct and Gunn is a double package. I'd also be in the mind set if Fox is indeed looking for a comedy director to make Deadpool Gunn would be an excellent choice. There has also been talk of the studio making a film based on Taskmaster with Joe Carnahan (A-Team, Smokin' Aces) attached to direct. He's a super villain who has amazing photographic muscle memory and can mimic any fighting techniques just by witnessing them.

20th Century Fox has recently embraced more artistic directors for their superhero films. Hiring James Gunn for any of them would be a step in the right direction wether it's a reboot, new hero or a spin-off. There have been rumblings of Fox trying to have all their new Marvel films set in the same universe similar to what Marvel Studios has done with their superhero films.

No comments:

Post a Comment