April 11, 2010

REVIEW: REC 2


I'm not really one to enjoy horror films but I have to admit a majority of the horror films coming out of Europe have impressed me in the last couple of years. Nothing is more promising than the Rec franchise from Spain and yes it has become a horror franchise. There is already plans to make a third film while most of North America has yet to even view the second one. While being a fan of the original film going so far as not to watch the American knock-off Quarantine. I had been hearing lots of positive buzz on the sequel and went in with very high expectations.

To be honest the film delivers on every scale. It even has a smoother "shaky-cam" style than the first film. While this might seem like the average "zombie" flick it isn't. In Europe they're "infected" not zombies. We've seen the infected in films like 28 Days Later and even with the Italian B-film Nightmare City which influenced Planet Terror. What's great about Rec 2 it sets itself apart from most recent horror films trying something new and somewhat original. They do finally reveal the origin of the infected after such a bizarre ending in the first film. The action is ramped up and less quiet scenes where people are talking or just hiding. I really enjoyed the nods to Aliens and other horror classics.

This just might be my favorite horror film of year so far. I'm sure Splice will give it a run for it's money but for now it's on the top of my list. I'm not sure when it's expected to be shown in wide release but do look out for it on DVD. Trust me when I say go with subtitles because the dubbed versions are always off-putting and can be distracting.

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment