February 15, 2010

Ghost In The Shell Trilogy?


Screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island, Avatar) spoke to ShockTillYouDrop about working on the live-action adaptation of Ghost In The Shell for Dreamworks. She revealed it could end up a possible trilogy. Steven Spielberg is the producer of the project so we can only expect big things from his involvement.

"I've got "Ghost in the Shell," which is an adaptation of another manga and anime with DreamWorks and Steven's producing that and I'm hoping that the draft will come in pretty soon and I'm hoping he'll like it. DreamWorks had the material and I have loved it for years and years and years. They contacted me about it when they found out that I was interested. I mean, there's just no other property quite like it. It could actually be three two-hour movies, which is what I would vote for, but it's the seminal cyberpunk text as something like "Neuromancer." I mean, it really just is, and there's nothing else like it."





Kalogridis is no stranger to manga she recently worked on Battle Angel for James Cameron which will be for 20th Century Fox. Now that western comic books have been mostly grabbed by studios it looks like manga is the next group of original comic material. With the Hughes Brothers (From Hell, Book of Eli) set to direct two Akira films for Warner Bros. I expect progression of the other projects will come together soon. There are plans for a Ninja Scroll film which will be written by Alex Tse (Watchmen) also set up at Warner Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment